HERS Board of Directors Announces Retirement of Dr. Judith White
President and Executive Director of HERS 2005 – 2018
It is with deep appreciation and admiration that the Board of Directors of HERS writes to inform you of the retirement of our President and Executive Director Judith White, effective June 30, 2018. Judith has been an extraordinary leader and model of all that the HERS institutes and programs have sought to instill in our alumni. With wisdom and energy, since 2005 Judith has led HERS through several significant transitions to become an entrepreneurial, robust, independent, nonprofit institution serving higher education in the USA and abroad.
The Board of Directors plans to launch a presidential search in October 2017, with an anticipated July 1, 2018, start date for the new President and Executive Director. Throughout the course of the year, as we search for a new president, we will also find occasions to gather as a community to celebrate Dr. White’s leadership and to express our gratitude to her. While consolidating various HERS academic and financial operations, Dr. White launched the HERS Institute at the University of Denver and refined the Signature HERS
While consolidating various HERS academic and financial operations, Dr. White launched the HERS Institute at the University of Denver and refined the Signature HERS Curriculum also offered at both Bryn Mawr College and Wellesley College. Dr. White expanded the reach of HERS to become a leading source for scholarship and
Dr. White expanded the reach of HERS to become a leading source for scholarship and research on women’s leadership in higher education. Through Judith’s many speaking engagements, writings, and collaborative research, she has broadened the HERS community of women leaders in higher education to include a significant outreach to women in STEM, as well as to women at community colleges and historically minorityserving institutions. HERS now boasts of nearly 1,000 HERS Institute alumnae serving in senior level positions, with more than 3,000 leading in a variety of posts throughout 1,200 colleges and universities in the United States and around the world.
Dr. White’s vision and commitment to excellence has enabled HERS to emerge with sufficient resources to establish a quasi-endowment in excess of $1 million.
Beginning in 2006, Judith designed and implemented new initiatives to adapt HERS operations to changing conditions in higher education. Notable examples include:
- Consolidation of HERS financial operations
- Recruitment and selection of new professional staff
- Enhancement of technologies to accommodate new curricula and teaching methods
- Revision and implementation of a new Signature HERS Institute Curriculum
- Initiation of the TIAA multi-year corporate sponsorships at HERS
- Establishment of a collaborative research project with the University of Colorado – Colorado Springs and the Center for Creative Leadership
- Inauguration of the HERS Presidential Summit
- Creation of a new STEM community of women leaders with support from the Henry Luce Foundation
- Continuing support of HERS-South Africa, serving women leaders in African higher education since 2004
- Formation of the HERS East Africa and HERS West Africa programs to expand leadership development opportunities for women in those regions
We members of the Board of Directors of HERS and the more than 5,500 living HERS alumnae are indebted to Dr. Judith White for her commitment to championing women leaders in higher education and the great institutions they serve.
Chair of the HERS Board of Directors 2017